Home Office Essentials
Working from home? Mockett has the tools you need to turn your home office into a functional work space during the coronavirus pandemic and beyond.
Working from home is certainly not a new trend, but it has always mostly been reserved for very specific job functions that would allow that sort of flexibility and time management. What happens when many of us are forced into working from home though? Are we prepared to have our living space double as a short-term, or even potentially long-term, makeshift office? With the onset of COVID-19, many of us have been challenged to look at our work differently for the unforeseeable future. This new development and behavior of social distancing sets a precedent going forward for how we effectively handle future pandemics, so you may need to have a home office setup that is both comfortable and functional not just for right now, but for future use as well.
1) Consider your basic requirements. The first step in creating a functional office space at home is to consider your basic requirements and necessities to perform essential duties. Let’s start with the desk. You will definitely need a comfortable work space that has ample room for you to operate. Then you need a comfortable chair to get settled in and concentrate. Your basic setup and consideration of ergonomics is critical – experiencing any discomfort will likely prevent you from focusing. If you are going to use a custom table top, Mockett has a wonderful collection of table legs, including electric table leg sets for height-adjustable desks which might be the perfect answer for your home office so you can mix up your routine and prevent fatigue.
2) Grommets. In most cases you will likely require either a laptop or PC, so you will need access to power and may even need a data cable if you are using a hardline secure connection to the internet. You may require a phone, either a cell phone or landline, so you may require additional power and charging USB options or even a Cat3 or Cat5 phone cable for a desk phone. A simple grommet solution may be all you need for feeding cables up through the desk.
3) Power Grommets. You may need to actually bring power and data connectivity directly to the surface to power mobile devices using Mockett’s collection of Power Grommets. A wide assortment of configurations and mounting applications will give you just the right fit for your custom desk. This added convenience will allow you to enjoy the comforts of your traditional office desk.
4) Power Tracks or Floor Raceways. You may even need to bring power from your wall closer to your work desk in some cases. Power Tracks provide a clean and unobtrusive floor track solution to put power directly where you need it and is ADA compliant with low-rise ramps so it safe for wheelchairs and does not create a tripping hazard. Or simple wiremold raceways for floor will move your cables across the floor and prevent you from tripping over them.
5) Wire Management. Now that you have your work desk set up, your basic functionality is covered, and you are ready to power all your devices and get to work. But what about those pesky cables everywhere? Chances are they are dangling from underneath the desk or are in the way either on the floor or on the desktop. Cable Management is often a mere afterthought and is sometimes even completely neglected, but the reality of it is this is one of the most important steps in creating an efficient work space. A clean desk, clear of any clutter from cables, helps to promote an efficient work space. Run your cables under your desk, then either down a table leg or inside a wire spine from floor to desktop. Mockett has a vast collection of wire stays ranging from plastic raceways that are cut to length to Velcro straps and nylon tubes and many more.
6) Power needed everywhere! And why stop there? Now that you’re getting the hang of turning your home into a functional office space, you can easily introduce some of these convenient power options into other areas of the home. Where is the one place you will inevitably wind down at the end of the day and need to power up as you surf your phone? Your bed of course. The same Power Grommets that power your work desk can easily power your night stand or head board. Having close access to charging receptacles alleviates the need for extension cords and power strips across the floor to bring your phone cable within reach.
Visit www.mockett.com to view Mockett’s entire line of Architectural Hardware and see how you can create a comfortable working environment at home. Eliminate distractions from discomfort and beautify your space to keep a consistent professional working environment with your traditional office. Enjoy the options and see what Mockett can do to transform your home office!