5 Tips For The Perfect Interior
Spring is in the air, and so is the warm breezy weather that sets the stage for your home remodel. Roll up those sleeves and prepare for demo - sun's out, guns out! Or maybe you just need to shake things up without any construction. This Spring, we're going to tackle a few easy upgrades, none of which even involve wielding a hammer. Let's start with a few DIY decorating tips that will look like you had professional help!
1) Invest in important pieces: Start big. Know which pieces you should be splurging on and which ones you can go easy on. In this case, you should be investing in a good sofa, bed, and dining table, for example. These are items that you want to last and will be the anchor pieces of your décor. You don’t have to spend lots of money on accessories such as pillows, lamps, vases, since these items can be changed more frequently. Now that you’ve set your main furniture pieces, you can start thinking about positioning them and building off of them.
2) Center point: Every room in your home has a main focal point. This is the place your eyes are drawn to when you enter the room. This could be a fire place, a wall painted in a different color, windows, a large mirror, or even a large piece of furniture like a sofa. Identify your main focal point (or create one!) and position furniture and accessories accordingly to complement it.
3) Distance between furniture: You’ve got your furniture pieces in line with your focal point, and now it’s time to make sure everything is spaced appropriately. Apartment Therapy gives great suggestions:
Dining table: Should be 36” from walls and any other furniture.
Sofas: Allow 18” between sofa and coffee table. Distance between sofas and any other sitting furniture should be between 3.5’ and 10’. And TVs should be 7’ from the sofa.
4) Wall Art: Adding artwork is an easy way to give a room personality. You can find prints easily without breaking the budget. Choose art that fits your style and complements the theme that is going on in your room. A good rule of thumb is to place it at eye level. Art will make your space more intimate since it is a reflection of you!
5) Home Accents: Don’t forget the accessories! Spruce up your décor with patterns, textures, and details. You can try some pillows in different sizes and textures on the sofa. Or for grouping objects such as vases together, Designer Cecilia Walker gives a nice tip: the rule of odds. She says that objects grouped in odd numbers are more visually appealing and memorable than even numbered pairings. The objects you will be grouping together don’t have to be equal; they can be different shapes, sizes, and colors, but make sure they are all tied together through some external connection.
Voila! Your home décor is ready to enjoy and is set for hosting family and friends! We hope these tips can help you make informed decisions when sprucing up your home this season.